Wednesday, May 21, 2014

You Belong To The City



Today is Christopher Wallace's, (Biggie Smalls, Notorious B.I.G.) birthday. What better way to celebrate the love for a big city then cruising in your car under the shadow of big buildings and street lights, voices in your ears saying "Biggie Gimme One More Chance..." Notorious B.I.G. lived in a concrete jungle and broke out of Brooklyn with no shame in his game. Big belly, black as night, selling rocks, not giving a Fuck gangsta ass rapper. That's the city for you. If you are going to survive a big city you have to own it or it will swallow you up into the night, lost in its flashing lights.





        Recently returned from my hometown of Toronto I am reminded of what life really means. Living here in Tampa, Florida it is easy to slide through the sunny days making my career moves one step at a time with the help from my big sister. It became too easy so I didn't push hard or fast enough. Boys have come and gone knowing they can't keep up. I am not where I should be. Not for long, my visit to Toronto this past week re-opened my eyes. The city is alive, the struggle is real. Young cats on the streets admiring my moves from NY, to Toronto, to Tampa, and now to Maui. What does it all mean if you can't satisfy you inner human instinct to Divide and Conquer. Moving and change will keep me alive, humble and intelligent but going home will make me stronger. Toronto is cold. As much as I would love to move back home and run my streets I couldn't, it's too cold. Much of my existence lives in Toronto, and most of my heart stays with the people that I love and could never live without even if all I have left is their memory. The city ignites a fire inside of me that could only come out when I'm wondering her streets, high on her alcohol content and potent herbs. I love her like a mother who taught me how to love and abandon love when I need too. What's next on the map?


     
          Maui. The Hawaiian Islands are mysterious and filled with legends. Untouched paths and waterfalls flowing into deep caves with black sands. In the middle of the Pacific ocean there is a paradise calling my name. In the middle of those deep blue waters with white sands and palm trees, waves so perfectly shaped for your body to slide right back to shore lies a small city waiting for some new flavor. The city has shaped me, fit for any obstacle that comes my way. A woman of many faces, I will add to the Island without taking away from her natural state and all she has to offer.

Thank you New York, Toronto, Tampa....... Aloha Maui.






No comments:

Post a Comment